The Payroll Connect module, which comes with the Starter Pack edition of Microsoft Dynamics GP, enables you to automate data transfer from ADP (Automatic Data Processing)/PC Payroll for Windows into the General Ledger, using a turnkey solution that eliminates the need to reenter data. The module is installed with the Microsoft Dynamics GP installation process, so you don’t need a separate installation for it. You just have to enter the Payroll Connect registration keys, and click to select the Payroll Connect check box in the registration window.
Before using the Import From ADP window, you’ll need to work with your ADP representative to do the following:
- Obtain the correct file structure for the import file.
- In the ADP product, set up the same account framework as in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- The format used in the ADP tool must contain 10 fields. Microsoft Dynamics GP does not use all 10 fields, but they must still exist, even if they are left blank. Those fields are: Client Code, General Ledger Account Number, Journal Source Code, Date, Amount, Reference number 1, Description, Reference number 2, Reference number 3, Record Code.
- The file should be comma delimited and have a .gli suffix.
- Each field should have quotes around it. Open the file with Notepad to confirm.
- Each field should not be mapped wider than the maximum width allowed for each field in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
The Starter Pack edition of Microsoft Dynamics GP also comes with the Federal Magnetic Media module, another time saver. This module helps you maintain full compliance with government reporting requirements by generating Federal Magnetic Media files. It is particularly useful if you need to generate electronic W-2 files for a payroll of more than 250 employees.